3 January

The project organizing "great books" lists serves as a crash course in literary history for me: I majored in History in college. Growing up in a house with frequent political discussions and screenings of C N N's Crossfire (Michael Kinsley era) but being myself rather averse to numbers and what I would come to call Social Studies (not what you took in middle school, but a term superior to Social Science) History became my discipline of choice. It made sense of the politics that were always here, in my life, myself--not realizing that most children did not receive such rigid indoctrination, instead the common ignorance of Americans regarding their nation's history. Alas, in the long run, History made such sense of contemporary politics and U S history that I left it behind too. Thanks, but no thanks. If money was no object, I'd go back to college and major in English, and add in more Philosophy, Religion, Art History, and Music courses. At the time, I would not have been able to handle such a rigorous education. Perhaps I could now.